Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Why I like visiting U.S. school websites

When I was in College, studying in the Philippines for my bachelor
degree w/c started year 1995, I already started using the Internet.
A time wherein it is starting to get into the mainstream.

I was a member of our school's Center for Network Management Services
or CNMS for short. It is Cebu City's first ISP provider and founding member
of PHnet.

I was introduced to the Internet not by using Internet Explorer, but by
Lynx, Gopher, Archie... on Unix machines. That time I got the opportunity
to visit U.S. universities w/c have website.

I tried to learn what's going on in their schools, in the Electrical/Computer
engineering departments. It was onced my dream to pusue graduate
studies at no less than an Ivy-league school. Back then, I am already aware
of Harvard, Princeton, Berkeley, UCLA, Stanford, MIT, RPI,... In a way, my
horizon got wider early in college.

I'd like to relate this story on how U.S. school websites guided and inspired
me in my education. Let's take the case of MIT which happens to be one
of the favorite sites I am still visiting up to this day.

For me, MIT break in to what a web window to the world could be.
I like the idea of having a daily different mainpage with a daily feature
spotlight topic. It delivers a dynamic theme. MIT challenged the world
of education to bring about knowledge to everybody beyond the limits of
money and distance. It conceptualized and opened OCW - OpenCourseWare,
a program wherein MIT's course would be put online free to everybody.
Its understands the idea that someday, its not anymore a matter of
having an educational material or not but on how one make the most use of it.

Hopefully, young contemporary students at schools could make use of
this U.S. school websites and learn from them and be inspired to pursue
high aspirations.